Sunday, June 19, 2016

Bukit Bintang Analysis

Up next is the final series of ENBE - the Built Series. And for our first assignment, we need to do a proper site analysis based on a given site. For my case, it's Bukit Bintang, in the heart of the entertainment side of KL. Hey, that's also where my high school was located!

First and foremost, let me introduce to you my new groupmates - from left to right - Janelle, Rihana, Jing Kai, Charlotte and Christal.
And you must be wondering what's with the cameras, comfortable attire and shoes, backpacks and us out in the streets? Well, that's basically part of our work for a good analysis. If we really want to make a good report on Bukit Bintang, we must first experience Bukit Bintang ourselves. That brings up us learning how to make deeper observations using our five senses, our courage to be curious and venture into corners which we've never been before, and not to forget, plenty of research, from the history to the elements of what makes a good urban area.

This is my booklet, aka report on my Bukit Bintang Analysis


Three things I want to take from this site analysis project are:
  1. maps are really important in explaining your site. What do you see in this place? Indicate. Which part has this interesting feature? Indicate. How long do you have to take from one place to another. Indicate that too. And for that, maps help a lot.
  2. for me, observation has gone to a whole new level. Now I have to experience intangible, abstract feature of my site - as in, which part of the urban area is high end, and which part is low end, which part feels dangerous, etc.
  3. SWOT analysis is also essential in this report. I needed to determine the strong points of Bukit Bintang, which are its entertainment and shoppin district, and also its weakness - congestion of people and vehicles and pollution, mainly air and sound. I also had to propose solutions to improvise Bukit Bintang as well.
Overall, this was a whole new adventure for me and my groupmates. We actually had to stay overnight to experience Bukit Bintang to its full potential. And the two hour trips from college to this gem area were really worth the memories. This time I've understood Bukit Bintang more deeply and I fell in love with this urban space once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment